Beets, goat cheese, and balsamic vinegar create a beautiful combo. Try these three recipes at home.
- 2 beets
- Olive oil
- 4 ounce round of goat cheese
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 2 oranges
- 1 egg
- Wash beets and trim stems and ends. Cover a large baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place prepared beets in a single layer on top.
- Lightly coat beets with olive oil. Place another large sheet of aluminum foil on top and seal.
- Roast at 350oF for 35-45 minutes or until tender. Remove the top layer of foil, and set aside to cool.
- Once cool, peel off the skin. Refrigerate beets whole or in slices.
- Thaw puff pastry as directed. Spread 1 sheet on flat work surface, and place goat cheese in the center, round side down.
- Brush egg wash onto uncovered sides of pastry. Wrap the sides of pastry around the cheese, gently pressing at the overlaps to seal. Pinch ends of pastry firmly around the cheese, and trim excess pastry.
- Place on a sheet tray and refrigerate 1 hour.
- Bake at 375oF for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
- For the balsamic reduction, cook balsamic vinegar in small saucepan over medium heat. Once it boils, reduce heat to a simmer. Stir occasionally until reduced by at least half. Transfer cooled reduction into an airtight container until ready to use.
- Slice the beets and oranges into 1⁄4- to 1⁄3-inch-thick rounds.
- To assemble, place 1 beet round on a firm, flat surface. Stack an orange slice on top, and continue alternating layers until you have 5 beet slices and 4 orange slices.
- Place the baked goat cheese en croute on the side of the Napoleon. Drizzle balsamic reduction on top.
Chef’s note: Dress up the dish even more with chopped pistachio nuts and roasted vegetables on the side.
Recipe by Giuseppe Di Gristina, Executive Chef, The Venue at Bella Sera.
Photography by Cayla Zahoran | Styling by Allie Wist