- 1 gallon vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 1 quart white vinegar
- 1 cup, plus 1 tablesoon sugar
- 1 cup, plus 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 pound shallots
- 2 leeks
- 2 bunches collard greens
- 3 Anaheim chiles
- 3 poblano chiles
- 2 bunches cilantro
- 1 can chipotle peppers in adobo
- 3 limes
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound pancetta
1. Simmer vegetable stock, coriander seeds, white vinegar, 1 cup sugar, and 1 cup salt in a stock pot for 30 minutes.
2. Add the shallots, and simmer until tender. Set aside to cool.
3. Once cooled, remove the shallots and slice them into thick circles, resembling scallops. Set aside.
4. Trim the green leaves off the leeks. Split the remaining part of the leek down the center and julienne. Soak in cold water for at least 10 minutes.
5. Remove the stems from the collard greens. Roughly chop the leaves. Set aside.
6. Place the Anaheim and poblano chiles over open flame/grill/burners until the outside is charred. Place charred chiles in a large bowl, and cover with plastic wrap for at least 10 minutes. Once cooled, peel off the skin and remove the stem and seeds.
7. Blend the chiles’ flesh with 2 oz of liquid from the stock pot, cilantro, 1 tablespoon of adobo paste, 1 chipotle pepper, juice from 2 limes, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 tablespoon sugar, and heavy cream until smooth.
8. Dice the pancetta into “lardons” or large cubes. Cook the lardons in a large pan over medium heat until slightly crispy. Remove the excess, and place it in another pan for searing the shallots.
9. Add the leeks to the pancetta pan, and sauté until translucent. Add the greens and a splash of liquid from the stock pot. Cook down over medium heat for 10 minutes.
10. In the second pan, which has the excess from cooking the pancetta, sear the shallots over high heat until slightly burnt.
11. To plate, place the shallots atop the greens. Add the chile puree on the side, squeeze juice from one lime over the dish, and serve.
Common Plea Catering, 2945 Smallman St., Strip District. 412.281.5140. commonplea-catering.com.