Ingredients for Brownies
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 cup fresh Medjool dates, pitted and at room temperature
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. ground chia seeds
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 4 tbsp. coconut oil
Ingredients for Chocolate Ganache
- 1 cup dark chocolate
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 tbsp. almond milk
- 2 tbsp. pomegranate juice
- Arils from one pomegranate
- 1. Line an 8 inch baking dish with parchment paper making sure the paper comes up above the top edge for ease of removing the brownies later on. Set aside.
- 2. In a large food processor, combine walnuts and pecans until finely ground. Add dates and blend again. Finally, add remaining ingredients and blend until incorporated and smooth. Press firmly into the 8 inch baking dish and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- 3. To make the chocolate ganache add all the ingredients into a double boiler. You can also use a glass bowl set on top of a saucepan if you do not have a double boiler. Make sure there is water in the bottom saucepan and heat to medium high heat. The chocolate mixture will melt quite quickly so stir consistently until melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Allow to cool for a few minutes and then layer on top of the refrigerated brownie mix. Return to the refrigerator for 10-15 minutes.
- 4. After the brownie mixture has cooled for a few minutes, drop the pomegranate arils on top and return to the refrigerator until completely cooled and hardened.
- 5. Cut into 12 equal servings and serve immediately.
Nutrition and Thyroid Health Coach, Stephanie Wharton, “Healthy Holiday Eats.” thewellsideoflife.com/healthyholidayeats.