Ingredients for Sweet Potato Puree
- 3 lbs. sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt
Ingredients for Pecan Topping
- 1 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4 tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1. Preheat oven to 400ºF and spray an 8 inch square baking dish with oil and set aside. Also, line a large baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- 2. Peel, rinse, and quarter sweet potatoes and place in a steaming basket in a large saucepan stovetop on medium-high heat. Make sure there is 2-3 inches of water beneath the steaming basket. Steam for about 20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are very tender when pierced with a fork.
- 3. Remove the sweet potatoes from the steaming basket and place in a blender or high speed food processor. Add remaining ingredients and blend until puréed. Texture should be very creamy and smooth.
- 4. For the pecan topping, place pecans, walnuts, and rolled oats on the baking sheet in one single layer and toast for about 4 minutes in the oven.
- 5. Remove pecan mixture from the baking sheet and place in a food processor along with the remaining ingredients. Blend together until mixture reaches desired consistency.
- 6. To assemble, place sweet potato purée in the bottom of the greased baking dish and smooth until even with the back of a spoon. Layer the pecan mixture on top, making sure to spread and smooth evenly as well.
- 7. Place dish in oven for about 15 minutes to reheat and meld flavors together.
- 8. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Nutrition and Thyroid Health Coach, Stephanie Wharton, “Healthy Holiday Eats.” thewellsideoflife.com/healthyholidayeats.