- 1 red onion
- 10 jalapeños, sliced on a bias
- 40 grape tomatoes in assorted colors
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups mayo (homemade or high quality)
- 2 limes, juiced and zested
- 2 limes, segmented
- ½ oz cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup sifted flour, plus more for coating
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 10 oz soda water
- Canola oil
- 4 avocados
- 12 tortillas
1. To make the Smoked Jalapeño and Tomato Salad, julienne the red onion and mix with jalapeños and grape tomatoes. Season the mixture with olive oil, salt, and pepper, then transfer to a baking sheet. Smoke or roast at 350ºF for 25 minutes. Set aside.
2. To make the Lime Cilantro Mayo, stir mayo, lime juice, lime zest, lime segments, and cilantro in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
3. To make the tempura batter, mix 1 cup flour, cornstarch, and soda water in a medium bowl.
4. Fill a deep skillet with 4 inches of canola oil and bring to 350ºF. Remove the peels and pits from each avocado. Slice each avocado half lengthwise into 3-4 pieces.
5. Dredge each piece in flour, then coat with the tempura batter. Fry in canola oil until golden brown. Transfer to paper towels to let the excess oil drain.
6. To assemble the tacos, lay 2-3 pieces of tempura fried avocado on each tortilla, then top with a drizzle of Lime Cilantro Mayo and scoop of Smoked Jalapeño and Tomato Salad. Add extra cilantro and lime on top, if desired!
Smoke BBQ Taqueria, 4115 Butler St., Lawrenceville. 412.224.2070. smokepgh.com.