- 3 medium russet potatoes
- 1 Spanish onion
- 1 clove garlic
- ½ cup oil (olive or vegetable, divided)
- ¼ teaspoon celery seed
- Zest from half of one lemon
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup of fresh dill, finely chopped
- Place the russet potatoes on a sheet tray. Dry bake for 45 minutes at 375°F.
- Remove the potatoes from the oven and allow them to cool for 15 minutes. Refrigerate until completely chilled.
- Peel and finely dice the Spanish onion. Finely mince the garlic.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a small sauce pot over medium low heat. Gently sweat the onion and garlic, stirring with a wooden spoon until translucent.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Peel the potatoes, and grate into a large mixing bowl. Mix in the chilled, sweated onions and garlic.
- Stir in celery seed, lemon zest, kosher salt, egg, and dill. Cover the mixture with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Using a ¼ cup mixing cup, scoop out individual portions from the mixture. Place the prepared portions onto a clean sheet tray.
- Shape each one into a small cake, about ½-inch in thickness.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Gently place in enough potato cakes to fill the pan.
- Remove the latkas with a spatula, and transfer them to a cooling rack before serving.
About this recipe
Salt of the Earth, 5523 Penn Ave., Garfield. 412.441.7258. saltpgh.com.