It’s time for spring to make her grand entrance, a revelation performed by green artichokes poking up out of the soil. Signaling the start of a new season, the armor-clad vegetables also teach us...
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Mix artichokes, extra virgin olive oil, thyme, bay leaves, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a sauce pan. Simmer over low heat for 15 minutes or until the artichokes are tender. Set aside.
- Heat scant amount of olive oil in cast iron or oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Evenly brown lamb loins on all sides. Remove from heat, and allow them to cool slightly.
- Wrap the loins in pancetta and return them to the skillet. Bake for 20 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 125ºF. Remove from pan and allow to rest.
- Deglaze the pan with red wine over medium heat. Add red onion and red bell pepper. Cook for 4-5 minutes. Add kalamata olives, beef or chicken stock, capers, and balsamic vinegar. Cook for 3 minutes.
- To serve, slice the pancetta-wrapped lamb loin. Plate with poached artichokes and sauce on the side. Chef’s Note: Make this dish a balanced meal by serving it with a bed of French green lentils!
Eighty Acres Kitchen & Bar, 1910 New Texas Road, Plum. 724.519.7304. eightyacreskitchen.com.