Tired of holiday carb-loading? This season, trade in tradition for lighter, brighter, and more daring side dishes
- To roast the shishito peppers, preheat oven 400ºF. Toss peppers with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season with 1 teaspoon Kosher salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Roast on the top shelf of the oven for 30 minutes. Remove and allow to cool slightly. Remove pepper stems. Chop into ¼-inch rings and set aside.
- To roast the fall vegetables, toss Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and butternut squash with 2 tablespoons olive oil. Season with 1 teaspoon Kosher salt and 1 teaspoon black pepper. Toss again. Roast on the top shelf of the oven at 400ºF for 30 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- To make pico de gallo, mix Roma tomatoes, garlic, lime juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Heat a cast iron griddle over medium heat. Place tortilla on the griddle, spreading Monterey Jack cheese on one half and goat cheese on the other.
- On the side with Monterey Jack cheese, evenly place chicken, ¼ cup roasted shishito peppers, ¼ cup roasted fall vegetables, and 1 ounce pico de gallo. Fold goat cheese-covered half over the top.
- Cook both sides until they’re browned, transfer the quesadilla to a cutting board, and cut it into thirds.
- Serve with salsa, sour cream, and guacamole.