Tired of holiday carb-loading? This season, trade in tradition for lighter, brighter, and more daring side dishes
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, half and half, milk, sugar, vanilla extract, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon nutmeg, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- Heavily coat all sides of a baking pan with butter. Dip each slice of raisin bread into the mixture. Lay the coated slices in the buttered baking pan, overlapping to prevent gaps. Chef’s note: “Be mindful of bread placement to fill the pan fully, leaving just enough space at the top for the praline topping.” Pour the remaining mixture on top.
- To make the praline topping, melt ¾ pound butter in the microwave. Stir in brown sugar, chopped pecans, corn syrup, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon nutmeg, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Pour the mixture evenly over the bread pudding.
- Place baking pan on a baking sheet (to catch any drippings from the pan), and bake at 350ºF for 36 minutes. Chef’s note: Check on the dish every 12 minutes.
- Serve with a drizzle of honey and cream on top.
Benjamin’s Western Avenue Burger Bar, 900 Western Ave., North Side. 412.224.2163.