- Peel and cut the potatoes into large pieces. Place them in a large pot, cover with water, and boil until tender.
- Mash the potatoes through a food mill and reserve.
- Cook diced onion in a sauté pan over low heat, stirring frequently until a dark caramel color is achieved.
- Add all of the caramelized onions, except 2 tablespoons, to the potato mixture. Gently stir in the crab, dill, ¼ cup panko bread crumbs, cheddar cheese, and salt.
- Form the mixture in to 2-inch cylinders. Dredge each one in flour, then beaten eggs, then the 2 cups of panko bread crumbs. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Deep fry the tots for 2 to 3 minutes. (Or, for a healthier option, bake them for 20 minutes at 350°F.
- Mix the set aside 2 tablespoons of caramelized onions and Crème Frâiche together to make a dipping sauce for the tots.
About this recipe
The Terrace Room, Omni William Penn Hotel Lobby Level, 530 William Penn Place, Downtown. 412.553.5235. omnihotels.com.