- 3 cups butternut squash, peeled and grated
- 2 cups red potatoes, unpeeled and grated
- ¼ cup shallots, minced
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ tablespoon garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- Sour cream or maple syrup
- Toss squash, red potatoes, shallots, and egg together in a bowl. Add salt to taste.
- Mix in flour, sage, parsley, garlic, baking soda, and nutmeg. Add pepper to taste. Toss until well-mixed, then set aside for 10 minutes.
- Pour enough oil into a frying pan to cover the bottom, and bring to medium-high heat. Separate the mixture into four, golf ball-sized portions, and press softly to slightly flatten.
- Coat one side of each pancake with walnuts. Place the pancake, nut-side down, into the hot oil. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Serve with sour cream or maple syrup on the side.
Recipe by Nicholas D. Saxon of bellfarm Kitchen | Bar at Hyatt Regency Pittsburgh International Airport, 1111 Airport Blvd., Moon Township. 724.899.1234.