1. Butter the sides of a heavy, 2-quart saucepan. Stir in ¾ cup sugar, brown sugar, kosher salt, light corn syrup, evaporated milk, and 1 tablespoon butter. Continue mixing constantly over medium-high heat until the sugars dissolve and the mixture starts to boil. Continue cooking until the mixture reaches 236F on a candy thermometer or it passes the cold water test. (Drizzle a drop of the candy mixture into a glass of cold water. If the ball flattens between your fingers after it’s removed from the water, it’s ready.) Remove from heat, and let cool for 10 minutes.
2. Stir vanilla, pecans, and bacon into candy mixture with a spoon by hand for 2 minutes or until the candy is slightly thick and loses its gloss. Drop heaping teaspoons of the Bacon Pecan Praline onto waxed paper to harden. (Chef’s Note: If the praline becomes stiff, add a few drops of hot water.)
3. To make the Bourbon Sweet Potato Soufflés, place the sweet potatoes in a large pot and cover with water. Slowly simmer over low heat until almost fork tender. (Chef’s Note: Do not overcook!)
4. Remove the sweet potatoes from the water, and spread them out on a sheet pan. Dry them in the oven for 5 minutes. Press the sweet potatoes with a ricer, and set them aside to cool completely.
5. In a medium sauce pan, melt 1 oz butter with 1 oz flour, stirring constantly to form a thick roux. Whisk in milk until thickened, then allow the mixture to cool. Whisk in egg yolks, maple syrup, bourbon, nutmeg, ⅔ cup flour, and riced sweet potatoes.
6. In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites with a mixer until stiff peaks form. Season the sweet potato mixture with salt and pepper to taste, then gently fold in the egg whites. (Chef’s Note: Keep the mixture as fluffy as possible!)
7. Spray 5 small soufflé pans with nonstick cooking spray, then dust the inside with sugar. Divide the soufflé mixture evenly. Bake at 400F with no fan until the soufflés have risen up out of the dishes and the tops are golden brown.
8. Top with Bacon Pecan Praline and serve immediately.
Revel + Roost, Tower Two Sixty, 242 Forbes Ave., Market Square. 412.281.1134. revelandroost.com.