- 2 dozen mushrooms
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 oz vegan sausage
- 4 oz vegan mozzarella cheese, finely chopped
- 1-2 small onions, finely chopped
- 1-3 teaspoons of minced garlic, to taste
- 2-4 cups fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1-2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1. Preheat oven to 375ºF and lightly coat a baking sheet with non-stick spray or a homemade oil-based spray.
- 2. Wipe the mushrooms clean and remove the stems, setting them aside for later. Arrange the mushroom caps, top down, on the baking sheet and brush gently with olive oil. Bake until just slightly softened, about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- 3. Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté the vegan sausage until it is separated and resembles cooked loose sausage, about 4 minutes. Set aside.
- 4. Finely chop the mushroom stems and onions. Add more oil to the pan if needed, and sauté the stems, onions, and garlic until they are soft, about 6 minutes. Add spinach and lightly sauté until slightly wilted. Remove the pan from heat.
- 5. Slice the vegan mozzarella into small chunks. Add it to the pan with the mushroom stems, onions, and garlic. Then, mix in the cooked sausage, breadcrumbs, and Italian seasoning. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- 6. Form 1 tablespoon of the sausage mix into a ball. Place it into a mushroom cap, pressing it firmly into the mushroom. It should be generously mounded. Repeat, filling all of the mushrooms.
- 7. Sprinkle lightly with breadcrumbs. Bake the stuffed mushrooms until the filling is lightly browned on top, about 12 minutes.
East End Food Co-op, 7516 Meade St., East End. 412.242.3598. eastendfood.coop.com.