- 16 oz ricotta
- 4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 lbs fresh, ripe apricots (preferably red velvet variety!)
- 4 lbs fresh strawberries, washed and sliced
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, washed and diced
- Pre-made waffle mix for 8 servings
- 8 oz sliced almonds
1. Whip the ricotta, powdered sugar, heavy cream, and vanilla until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.
2. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Prepare a bowl of ice water. Drop the apricots in the boiling water for 20 seconds, then transfer them to the ice water with a slotted spoon. Let cool for a few minutes. Drain the apricots and slip off the skins. Slice each one in half and remove the center stones.
3. Place the apricots, strawberries, and sugar in a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Simmer for 10-15 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat and allow the mixture to cool. Stir in diced basil. Refrigerate until ready to use.
4. Prepare the pre-made waffle mix according to the package’s instructions, then stir in sliced almonds. Cook the batter in a waffle iron until golden brown.
5. Quarter each waffle with a knife, and spread the Ricotta Fluff on top of three of the pieces. Stand all four against each other, as shown here.
6. Drizzle the strawberry-apricot sauce on top, to taste, and swoosh any extra Ricotta Fluff on the plate. Garnish with fresh mint leaves, fresh apricot, fresh strawberry, or sliced almonds, if desired.
Waffles INCaffeinated, 453 3rd St., Beaver. 724.359.4841. 2517 E. Carson St., South Side. 412.301.1763.