Tired of holiday carb-loading? This season, trade in tradition for lighter, brighter, and more daring side dishes
- To prepare red beans, boil in a small pot of water for 30 minutes. Drain, then set aside.
- To prepare coconut milk, use a blender to juice fresh coconut. Set aside.
- Place coconut oil into a large, non-stick frying pan. Over medium heat, sautée mushrooms, garlic cloves, and shallots for 10 minutes, turning once halfway through. Transfer to large casserole dish.
- In the same pan, cook peas and green beans over medium heat for approximately 5 minutes. Add Anaheim peppers first, then ginger, cooking for 1 minute after each addition.
- Pour contents of frying pan into casserole dish with mushrooms. Add boiled red beans.
- Still using the same pan, mix red curry paste with coconut sugar. Cook on low heat for 2 minutes, stirring slowly. Add coconut milk. Cook on low heat for 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer casserole dish contents to a large salad bowl. Add coconut milk and red curry mixture. Toss and serve.
Asiatique Thai Bistro, 120 Bakery Square Blvd., East End. 412.441.1212.