Delicate snowflakes, softly glowing candles — not even cashmere scarves can rival the lightness of mascarpone cheese.
- Peel pears, leaving the stem intact. Set aside.
- Combine 200 grams sugar, star anises, vanilla bean, cinnamon sticks, lemon,
- and red wine in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Boil for 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low. Slowly add the pears into the mixture.
- Simmer for 90 minutes or until pears are fork-tender.
- Stir cranberries, water, and 4 oz sugar in a medium saucepan over low heat.
- Cook slowly until thick. Set aside.
- Mix mascarpone cheese and 1 teaspoon sugar. Set aside.
- Serve the sweetened mascarpone, flanked by sliced poached pears, with the cranberry compote on the side. Or make a festive scene like Chef Laffont!
Paris 66, 6018 Centre Ave., East Side. 412.404.8166. paris66bistro.com.