Supercharge your next meal with kale, chia seeds, and apples.
- 1/2 cup golden raisins, soaked in warm water for 1 hour to soften
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons julienned shallots, plus 1 tablespoon minced
- 2 tablespoons mint, minced
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup olive oil, plus 1/4 cup
- 1 cup kale, julienned
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 cup pickling liquid, from your favorite pickles
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 cup heirloom tomatoes, diced with seeds removed
- 2 Granny Smith apples, diced small
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 4.5 oz Alaskan halibut
- To make the Raisin Vinaigrette, mix golden raisins, sherry vinegar, honey, 2 tablespoons julienned shallots, mint, parsley, garlic, and ½ cup olive oil.
- To make the Lacinato Kale Salad, pour ¼ cup raisin vinaigrette over the kale. Toss with feta cheese. Let marinate for 1 hour.
- To make Pickled Chia Seeds, bring pickling liquid and chia seeds to a simmer in a medium saucepan. Remove from heat, and allow seeds to bloom for 2 hours.
- Once the mixture is cooled, fold in heirloom tomatoes and ¼ cup olive oil. Set aside.
- To make Spiced Apple Relish, mix 1 tablespoon minced shallots, Granny Smith apples, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, salt, sugar, and cider vinegar. Marinate for 1 hour in the refrigerator.
- Lightly coat a medium sauté in olive oil. Sear Alaskan halibut over medium-high heat for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Serve the Alaskan halibut over the dressed Lacinato Kale Salad, with Pickled Chia Seeds and Spiced Apple Relish on the side.
The Porch at Schenley, 221 Schenley Drive, Oakland. 412.687.6724.