- 2 cups pre-cooked mixed wild rice
- 1 lb. Brussel Sprouts, sliced in half
- 3 shallots sliced at medium width
- Olive oils, for drizzling
- 1 1/2 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 lemon, freshly squeezed
- 1/4 cup pecans, toasted
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup Sunflower and radish sprouts, loosely packed and roughly chopped
- Pink salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1. Preheat the oven to 400ºF and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2. To save time I will often buy wild rice pre-cooked in the freezer section and heat up as needed, but if this isn’t an option for you rinse 1 cup of dried wild rice and put it into a saucepan with 4 cups boiling water and salt to taste. Return to boil after adding rice, reduce heat, cover and simmer 50-60 minutes or until tender.
- 3. Spread the brussels sprouts and shallots out on the baking sheet and top with a drizzle of olive oil and salt and pepper, to taste. Then drizzle the balsamic vinegar and maple syrup on top as well. Roast until tender 30-40 minutes, flipping halfway through the cooking time.
- 4. On a separate baking sheet, spread the pecans and toast in oven for about 5 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. Be careful not to burn.
- 5. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix the wild rice with a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper and mix together. Add the brussels sprouts mixture from the roasting pan, the pecans and cranberries to the rice and mix.
- 6. Add the sprouts, a sprinkle more of salt if desired and the juice from one lemon over the entire dish and mix well.
- 7. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Nutrition and Thyroid Health Coach, Stephanie Wharton, “Healthy Holiday Eats.” thewellsideoflife.com/healthyholidayeats.