Tired of holiday carb-loading? This season, trade in tradition for lighter, brighter, and more daring side dishes
To make chicken broth:
- Place chicken in a bowl and cover with water and salt for 5 minutes. Remove chicken from water and wash thoroughly.
- In a large pot, combine 10 cups of water with chicken, yellow onion, ginger, lemongrass, and celery. Bring to a boil for 10 minutes. Then, lower to medium heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes, skimming foam from top every 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Strain liquid broth into another large pot, setting aside ½ cup.
To complete soup:
- Boil 4 cups water with chopped squash for 15 minutes. Drain. In blender, purée boiled squash with ½ cup chicken broth.
- Add puréed squash to large pot of broth. Cook at low heat for 20-30 minutes.
- Add a dash of salt, and garnish with ground black pepper.
Asiatique Thai Bistro, 120 Bakery Square Blvd., East End. 412.441.1212.