1. Bring a large pot of water to boil. Peel the sweet potatoes, and slice them into ¼-inch disks. Boil for 10 minutes or until fork tender.
2. Drain the water, and put the sweet potatoes in an ice bath to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
3. To make the Maple-Bourbon Dressing, mix dijon, whole grain mustard, mayonnaise, maple syrup, apple cider vinegar, and bourbon together in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
4. To make the Candied Bacon, cut the bacon into ½-inch lardons. Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp, then drain the bacon fat. (Chef’s note: You can mix this into the Maple-Bourbon Dressing for a richer bacon flavor!)
5. Return the bacon to the skillet over low heat, and stir in brown sugar. Cook until the sugar melts and coats bacon. Remove from the skillet, and let cool.
6. Take the sweet potatoes out of the ice bath, and toss them with vegetable oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
7. Grill the sweet potatoes over medium heat until char marks appear on both sides. Remove from heat, and slice the disks into quarters.
8. Toss the sweet potatoes, toasted walnuts, Candied Bacon, and scallions in the Maple-Bourbon Dressing until thoroughly coated. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes. Garnish with edible flowers, if desired, and serve.
The Burgh Bites Truck, 412.229.7119. burghbitestruck.com.