Fresh and hearty are two words we’re loving right now. Make magic in your kitchen with comforting dishes using arugula, lemon, and garlic — a fantastic combination.
- Mix water and yeast in a large bowl. Let stand 5 minutes to proof. Gradually stir in 2 cups of flour. Mix for about 1 minute to form a sponge. Let stand, covered, for at least an hour.
- Put “sponge” in a stand mixer. Using the dough hook, add salt and 2 tablespoons olive oil. Add remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, and mix to form dough.
- Remove from mixer and knead. Place in a clean, oiled bowl and let rise for 2.5 hours. Divide dough into 4 balls. Let rise for another 30 minutes.
- Roll dough out flat and gently press into a large rectangle. Brush liberally with 1/4 cup olive oil and top with garlic.
- Grill both sides over medium-high heat until golden brown. Top one side with ricotta cheese, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, tomatoes, and basil.
- In a medium bowl, toss arugula with lemon juice.
- Sprinkle dressed greens on top of flatbread. Serve immediately.
Recipe by Giuseppe Di Gristina, Executive Chef at Bella Sera.
Photograph by Michael Fornataro / Styling by Samantha Casale