Who knew rhubarb could be so versatile? By pairing it with local honey and fresh mint, three local chefs created dinner, drinks, and dessert.
- 1-1/2 cups buckwheat honey
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 3 cups rhubarb, sliced
- 1 cup shallots, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried lavender
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 boned, tied lamb shoulder (approximately 3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons rosemary, chopped
To prepare the mostarda, bring honey, rice wine vinegar, water, and mustard seeds to a boil in a sauce pot. Add in rhubarb, shallots, and dried lavender.
Remove from heat. Add in mint, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
To prepare the roast, liberally season the lamb with salt, pepper, and olive oil. Rub with garlic and rosemary. Let the roast sit for 30-40 minutes at room temperature to ensure even cooking.
Preheat the oven to 400oF. Roast for one hour or until internal temperature reaches 135oF.
Allow the cooked roast to rest for 20 minutes. Slice, and serve with mostarda.
Related Recipes:: Three Ingredient Fix: Rhuby Beauty
Recipe by Executive Chef Derek Stevens of Eleven, 1150 Smallman St., Strip District. 412.201.5656. As featured in Edible Allegheny's April/May 2014 installment of 3 Ingredient Fix.