- 1 onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons chopped ginger
- 1 cup Gochujang (Korean pepper paste)
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1¼ quarts water
- ¼ cup sesame oil
- ¾ head of cauliflower
- 1 cup flour, seasoned with salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup shaved Parmesan cheese
- Marcona almond for garnish
- Diced pickles for garnish
- Celery leaves for garnish
• To make the Korean Barbecue Sauce, sweat onions, garlic, and ginger in a sauté pan over medium-high until the mixture is translucent and lightly browned. Add in Gochujang and caramelize.
• Stir in brown sugar, and cook until a syrupy consistency is reached. Mix in cayenne pepper, soy sauce, water, and sesame oil. Simmer for 20 minutes.
• Blend the sauce until smooth, and set it aside to cool.
• Slice cauliflower into a rectangular slab, similar to the size of a steak. Dredge cauliflower in seasoned flour. Dredge the floured cauliflower in eggs. Repeat the process one more time.
• Heat butter in a sauté pan over medium-high heat. Brown the flour-and-egg-coated cauliflower until tender.
• Serve the cauliflower with Parmesan cheese, almonds, pickles, celery leaves, and the Korean Barbecue Sauce on top.
Soba, 5847 Ellsworth Ave., Shadyside. 412.362.5656. sobapa.com.