Beets, goat cheese, and balsamic vinegar create a beautiful combo. Try these three recipes at home.
- 10 ounces goat cheese, softened 10 ounces goat cheese, softened
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons rosemary, chopped
- 2 baby beets, yellow and red
- 4 cups cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 6 tablespoons walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 sheets phyllo dough
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup orange juice
- 4 carrots
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- Salt and pepper
- Fold goat cheese with heavy cream and 1 tablespoon rosemary until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roll cheese mixture in plastic wrap to form a 2-inch-wide tube. Refrigerate until firm. Slice through plastic wrap into 8 1⁄2-inch discs. Set aside.
- Remove beet tops and reserve. Cook beets covered in vinegar at 350oF for 20 minutes or until soft. Remove from vinegar.
- While beets are still warm, use a kitchen towel to peel. Once cooled, cut beets into thin slices. Set aside.
- To make the beet top pesto, purée garlic, rinsed beet tops, olive oil, 2 tablespoons of walnuts, and 1⁄4 cup Parmesan cheese in blender. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Unroll phyllo dough and cover with a slightly moistened towel. Once on a sheet of parchment paper, brush one sheet with butter and sprinkle 1 1⁄2 tablespoons rosemary, 1⁄8 cup Parmesan cheese, 2 tablespoons of walnuts, and salt and pepper. Repeat. Lay another sheet on top. Brush with butter. Refrigerate until butter hardens.
- Slice dough into 12 crisps. Place squares on parchment paper-lined sheet trays with another sheet tray on top. Bake 350oF for 7 minutes. Set aside.
- Reduce white balsamic vinegar and orange juice until au sec (nearly dry). Do not scorch. Remove from heat.
- Peel and juice carrots. Bring juice and honey to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Whisk frequently. When reduction holds a ribbon, remove from heat.
- To assemble, brush orange balsamic gastrique on the bottom of the plate. Layer phyllo crisp, goat cheese disc, sliced beets, and repeat. Garnish with carrot reduction and beet top pesto.
Recipe by Brian Volmrich, Chef de Cuisine, Braddock’s American Brasserie.
Photography by Cayla Zahoran | Styling by Allie Wist