Edible Excerpt: Revolutionize Your Life
Local author and wellness coach Caroline Shannon-Karasik shares our enthusiasm for “livets” — making manageable, feasible lifestyle changes, rather than extreme dieting. Here, we’re featuring an excerpt from her book, “The Gluten-Free Revolution,” a most-relatable guide to living your life fully, complete with yoga, gluten-free recipes, and solid advice.
Excerpt reprinted with permission from The Gluten-Free Revolution: A Balanced Guide to Gluten-Free Lifestyle through Healthy Recipes, Green Smoothies, Yoga, Pilates, and Easy Desserts! by Caroline Shannon-Karasik. Copyright 2014, Skyhorse Publishing, Inc.
What's the Gluten-Free Revolution?
Prior to my diagnosis with celiac disease in 2010, I spent a large portion of my life subscribing to an all-or-nothing approach. The same characteristics that made me driven and motivated had also often left me unable to relax the rules. There was never room for a happy medium or “sweet spot” in my world. Exercise didn’t count unless it was done for at least an hour. If I was trying to minimize sweets, they had to be completely wiped out of the kitchen — not a single granule in sight.
I created my philosophy as not only an answer for each one of you, but as a personal lifeline. When I found out that gluten was out and gluten-free was in, I was determined to not let this new restriction rule my life. Sure, I would now have to opt out of Oktoberfest, and cupcakes from my favorite bakery were completely off limits. But I decided right then and there that it was time to subscribe to a way of life—not a temporary fix—and I want you to do the same.
I promise, sweet cupcakes, that this is the place where you will find healthful bliss. You are about to uncover the ultimate sweet spot where you can enjoy vibrant green smoothies and have your gluten-free cake too.
Join the Revolution
Before we dig into the goodies, I want you to keep a few rules in mind while we journey down this path. I know, I know — I said rules are out and revolting is in. And it so is.
However, these are a few parameters that will set you straight down the path of living a fearlessly healthy and balanced life.
1. You are now on an un-diet. Stop counting calories and worrying about the latest fads. If you regularly eat whole, healthy, nutrient-rich foods, then you are making fantastic decisions for your body. ’Nuff said.
2. Indulge. Don’t get me wrong: I love my greens and whole grains, and they make up a large portion of my diet. But a glass of wine, chocolate, cheesy potatoes, and other naughty items are also a part of my life. Just don’t eat them all in one sitting. Unless you are singing the breakup blues. If that’s the case, then eat them all. Twice.
3. Eating healthy doesn’t have to be hard. You’ve heard it before and you’ll hear it again: “I don’t have time for that health food stuff.” Yes, you do. I promise you do. The problem is that no one ever showed you that it doesn’t have to be so damn hard.
4. Focus on your plate. I love food — period. I can clean a packed plate in no time. But that doesn’t mean I should. We live in a world where phones are brought to the dinner table and dining is a recreational activity. There have been one too many times in my life where I have shoveled something in so that I can quickly move on to the next thing. Not good, people. Take it slow and savor your food as much as you can.
5. Stop with the drama. Nix as much negative energy as you can from your life and you will recover more than just your sanity. The fact is, your diet and energy also suffer when you are dealing with stress. Yes, difficult situations will crop up now and then. But that friend who is constantly complaining to you about work, her husband, the crossing guard who looked at her funny? Believe it or not, she’s bringing you down too. Make a commitment to get healthy together or swap long conversations with her for a walk outside. Your body will thank you.
Ready to join the revolution? Let’s rock ’n’ roll, sweet pea.
Sincerely Caroline, sincerelycaroline.com.